I am interrupting our series on interviewing for two reasons:
1. It is my Birthday (7/28)! My favorite holiday in the year.
2. I wanted to share some profound tips I heard from Oprah at a conference I attended back in May 2019 in beautiful Washington, DC. I felt my birthday was a perfect time to share the wisdom she shared. These are the first part of my notes from her speech. I added my take-a-ways in parentheses.
1. Everyday is an AHA moment. We get to create our lives and press the reset button.
2. We all want to live out our truest expression of ourselves everyday.
3. Be a truth-seeker. (Always seek the truth in everything you do.)
4. Do what you have to do until you can do what you want to do. (This one brought me to tears; understand that your sacrifices are not in vain.)
5. My biggest mistakes were when I didn’t have great leadership for my school.
6. Always follow your gut – use your natural knowing. (A woman’s intuition is her best weapon; pay attention to it.)
7. Leadership is everything; everything rises and falls on leadership. Choose wisely.
8. When you don’t know what to do, do nothing. (Another powerful one; I am learning sometimes we have to sit still and be patient.)
9. If you have to ask someone what they think … stop and pause (and think for yourself.)
10. Giving people money does not change them. (Let that one marinate.)
11. We must help to change the way other people think. (If they are willing to listen; a closed mind cannot be fed.)
12. You can get through a crisis by remaining fully present in the moment.
13. You can’t be a good manager by wanting everyone to be okay; not everyone will be happy all at once. (The reality is we simply can’t satisfy everyone.)
14. Do not make decisions with your ego; you will be in trouble.
15. Read The seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav.
16. What you put out comes back; therefore, be careful of the energy you put out. (I am constantly working on this one.)
17. Ask yourself “What is the intention behind what you are putting out into the world.” (Always know your intent.)
18. Don’t let your head override your gut. (Your gut is always right.)
19. Strive towards wholeness-not perfection.
20. Don’t speak just anywhere or for just anyone. Always measure your intention. (Make sure your values align with the intent to do something)
WOWZERS! Weren’t those powerful and life-changing? Which ones resonated with you? Which ones will you implement today?
Check out the Working Woman Video Series to accompany this post
Keep winning and creating harmony in your life.
Marla J. Albertie
Your Life Harmonizing Strategist