Well At Least I Think So
No one can tell you how to do everything. Nope, not even me. However, I think, there is a general process that can be followed to accomplish nearly anything. However, that doesn’t mean that success (however you may define success) is easy. It only means that there is a process that provides predictable results.
You still have to do the work!
Use this process to accomplish anything your heart desires:
- Know what you want to accomplish. You have to know where you are going in order to get there. Be clear on the specific outcome you wish to create. Most people fail to even accomplish this step. Choose something and have a clear idea of what you’re trying to do. Take time to brainstorm. Grab a sheet of paper, write one idea in the middle of the sheet, then write other ideas to foster the first idea. Don’t think too hard; just write.
- Create a plan. Now that you have brainstormed an objective, you need a plan to follow. Your plan is likely to change over time, and that is okay. You need a roadmap in order to get started. Your plan will become more obvious after you get started. You only need to see the next step to make progress. The path will reveal itself as you make progress. Getting started is the challenging part. Just start!
- Determine your internal and external obstacles. Internal obstacles are your doubts, and other negative emotions, about your objective or the path to your objective. It’s important to resolve these if you want to be successful. External obstacles are things like time, money, finding clients, finding a mentor, and so on. Have a plan for dealing with them.
- Set short-term goals. If your objective is going to take more than a few months, set short-term goals. I love short-term goals, because they are easier to achieve. Setting short-term goals will keep you on track and maintain your focus.
- Plan your day. Make the most of each day by having a plan for your day. Do something small each day. Look at your objective and your plan and schedule your time accordingly. It’s best to do this in the evening so you’re ready to get to work in the morning. Avoid starting your day without a plan for your day.
- Lose the timewasters. We all waste time. Lord, knows I do. Think about how you most commonly waste time and find a way to remove those things from your life. If they can’t be removed, minimize their impact. This may take time to do, again start small.
- Enhance your mindset. Your mindset affects your motivation, energy levels, perspective, and how you make decisions. You go where the mind flows. Think positive thoughts. Do this: when a negative thought pops up, think about the opposite.
- Decide to never quit. Yes! Keep going. This is a hard one for most people. Perseverance might be the most important quality you can have if you want to be successful. Never give up IF it is something you truly believe in.
- Find a mentor or a coach. Unless you’re very clear on how to achieve your objective, a mentor or a coach can save you a lot of wasted time and heartache. Even a book can be considered a mentor of sorts. Anyone who knows me, knows I LOVE books. Find a good mentor, coach, or book and take full advantage of it.
The process for getting what you want isn’t a secret. The challenge is getting yourself to take action and to persevere long enough to become successful. If you can do those two things, you can accomplish just about anything. I believe it!
Pick a goal and go for it. It will be hard work, but it’s not as hard as dealing with the regret of never trying. Give yourself a chance and see what happens. You may just surprise yourself.
What are you working on? What is your heart’s desire?
Marla J. Albertie
Your Life-Harmonizing Strategist